Sunday, February 8, 2009

Spinning into Butter

My first reaction to the play occurred when I first started reading it. With a title like "Spinning into Butter," I expected a play taking place one or two hundred years earlier, in a farm or rural atmosphere with family strife/bonding somehow being connected with the act of churning butter. Obviously, this illustrates two points: a.) that I did not read the back and b.) that I am not very imaginative when it comes to plays.

Being the protagonist, Sarah's character was the most intriguing to me - not because she was the protagonist, but because there were so many facets to her character. Being a white female, I could associate with some of the earlier points she made, such as with Patrick Chibas. Why would a person object so strongly to a title of race in exchange for a twelve thousand dollar scholarship? To me it seemed as though she was trying to help him out. Even when reading his motivations for the protest, I still can't claim to understand fully what goes on in his head.

Learning of her racist tendencies was both surprising and anticipated. I suspected that there were some misconceptions due to ignorance on her part, but never fathomed just how much she hated black people, and therefore the cruel irony at being hired for the sake of becoming a racial liason of sorts.

I don't understand the big deal about her dislike of Toni Morrison. Of course she won't like it; she is more accustomed to a different style of writing, no matter how many courses she took on the subject. And really, everyone's tastes run differently; would my dislike of Ernest Hemingway make me sexist against men, rather than simply being unable to enjoy his writing?

Upon reading her opinions of Morrison's Beloved, I sought out some criticisms of the work, and found one that addressed the very aspects Sarah disliked in it. The article states the following: "In a process of personal and social transformation, Beloved's spaces and times change through geographical and structural movement and through storytelling. Narrative processes are linked to spatial formations and communal configurations. Morrison's simultaneous working through of history and memory by describing bodies and social structures makes the novel useful not only for projects of remembrance and revision, but also for building new social configurations of family and kin." The rest of it can be found here.

I do have to agree that, in my experience at least, everyone does the picking and choosing on a train or a bus - not necessarily due to race, but individual criteria that everyone has. I, for example, will admit that I would rather sit next to a woman older than me (what I view as the least physically and socially threatening), preferably away from children of any kind. In fact, I am curious about this possibility; does anyone else have any criteria for a potential seat on a hypothetical bus?

3 comments:

  1. I completly agree with you about Sarah's character. Right up until the racist monolouge I agreed with her. Even though she obviously wasn't perfect she was just trying to help. And it was difficult to get inside patrick's head. Of course that could be because Gilman thinks she can only write white people! As for the bus stuff, I think everyone chooses whether we realize it or not. I certainly prefer to sit by women because sitting near strange men (strangers not necassarily "Strange") scares me. I usually go by gender and looks. (if you look sketchy i wont sit anywhere near you)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sit as far from everyone as I can. It was nothing to do with anyone specifically except that people make me nervous. Especially on buses or trains since if someone sits directly next to you, their leg is probably touching mine. If any group is particularly loud, I'll probably avoid them even more, since that makes me even more uncomfortable. I just don't like sitting near people I don't know, I don't even sit next to people in movie theatres unless I absolutely have to.

    I think that Sarah doesn't actually hate black people, I think she hates how it makes her feel. It obviously makes her uncomfortable and rather confused. She just doesn't know what to do, and she wasn't initially racist, so now she thinks worse of them from bad experiences. But overall I think it she is more upset with her personal feelings than the close proximity to any black person.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting. I can see how all of that obsessive guilt she laid upon herself could rebound against her, making her angry with the situation, which could easily make her interpret her feelings as racism. I do think she is racist to some extent, but not the extent she believes, and I think your theory is a sound one.

    ReplyDelete